Weekly Investment Update
S&P 500 Rebounded Today After A Difficult Week And Month
Published Friday, October 1, 2021 at: 6:13 PM EDT
The Standard & Poor’s 500 stock index opened the final quarter of 2021 by gaining 1.15% today. For the week, the S&P 500 lost -2.3%, as the budget battle and infrastructure deal in Congress continued a September slump.
According to the Market Intelligence Desk at NASDAQ, September ranks as the worst-performing month for the S&P500 over the last 10- and 20-year periods, and it is the only month with negative average returns over both periods. The S&P 500 lost -4.7% in September.
For the quarter, which ended Thursday, the S&P 500 eked out a gain of six-tenths of 1%. Although the gain was fractional, it was the sixth consecutive quarter in which the S&P 500 showed a positive return since the 19.6% quarterly loss in the first quarter of 2020, when the Covid pandemic struck the U.S.
The S&P 500 closed Friday at 4,357.04, up +64.28% from the March 23, 2020, bear market low.
Nothing contained herein is to be considered a solicitation, research material, an investment recommendation, or advice of any kind, and it is subject to change without notice. Any investments or strategies referenced herein do not take into account the investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any specific person. Product suitability must be independently determined for each individual investor. Tax advice always depends on your particular personal situation and preferences. You should consult the appropriate financial professional regarding your specific circumstances. The material represents an assessment of financial, economic and tax law at a specific point in time and is not intended to be a forecast of future events or a guarantee of future results. Forward-looking statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties. Actual results, performance, or achievements may differ materially from those expressed or implied. Information is based on data gathered from what we believe are reliable sources. It is not guaranteed as to accuracy, does not purport to be complete, and is not intended to be used as a primary basis for investment decisions. This article was written by a professional financial journalist for Advisor Products and is not intended as legal or investment advice.
©2021 Advisor Products Inc. All Rights Reserved.
- China Financial Contagion Fears Come And Go In A Few Days
- August Retail Sales Indicate The Recovery Is Intact
- This Week’s Financial Economic News
- Latest Financial Economic News For Investors
- After Fed Inflation Policy Speech, Stocks Closed At New Record High
- Stocks Closed 1% Off All-Time High; Strong New Economic Data
- Stocks Broke Record High Again This Week
- U.S. Jobs Picture Improved, Covid Variant Risk Declined, And Stocks Closed Week At Record
- This Week’s Economic And Investment News
- Positive Earnings, Housing, and LEI News; Stocks Closed Week At A Record
- Today Versus Post-War History Of U.S Economic Cycles
- Stocks Surged 1.1% Today, Closing At A Record High For The Third Straight Week
- Strong Jobs Report Confirms Recovery
- What's Ahead For The Second Half Of 2021?
- Despite Strong Economic News, Stocks Dropped This Past Week